
It's fall and the weather is changing. Obviously I am not the only one that notices the weather change, my Boston ivy is putting on it's fall colors before it drops it's leaves.
Last week when we were at the Walkers, Gatsby is our constant companion. If he's not following Reagan around, he's following me. Here Gatsby naps on the sofa back while I sit. I couldn't figure out what's odd about this picture, then I realized most normal cats face out to the yard keeping an eye on their turf when they lay in front of a window. Apparently Gatz is fairly confident he has his territory is under control.
In an effort to get the inflammation in my foot to go down, the doctor prescribed me an analgesic cream. Since it's a special mixture it had to come from compounding pharmacy. Two days after my doctor appointment cream arrives in the mail. The pharmacy it came from is practically in Carissa's back yard. I've seen it many times while we are walking in Poulsbo. It's right across from the little marine center where Reagan keeps her octopus.
We took our Fall Colors tour this weekend. A bunch of us get together each year and drive back roads to check out the changing leaves. This year everything is pretty much desiccated by this summer's heat and was just dried up looking. But it's the people that make an event fun and we all had a great time. First we met at Arlington Airport for breakfast,
then moved on to a member's hangars to check out his toys
then started our drive for the day. here we pass the Oso landslide. This area has no housing except what was right here where the slide is. Right now it looks so innocuous, just like any other gravel pit.
The Jag at the first pit stop.
The countryside offered some pretty scenery.
Mt. Baker looks so much smaller up close than it does when we can see it from home. I'd pictured it being a lot larger.
Concrete High School is built over the road. This was done to make the best use of the property and to provide a dry load/unload bus zone. It seems that a town in the middle of nowhere could eek out just a little bit of land so they don't have to build over the highway but that's just me.
These are the towers remaining from the old concrete plant built in 1905. They are kind of creepy just chillin' on the edge of things.
Also built in the middle of nowhere is Concrete Airport. Even less believable is an awesome aviation museum resides there. North Cascades Vintage Aircraft Museum is a gem also located in the middle of nowhere. It's well-organized, clean, and the people are friendly. They let us park our cars in the taxiway while we looked at the displays.
Forget the airplanes, check out the tile floor in this hangar!
This the the nose of some sort of large plane that was involved in the Berlin Airlift. The owner bought the first 20' of the plane in New Mexico and towed it here to this hangar and hung it up to make an apartment for his grandchildren to stay in. You can see the access elevator to the left of the nose cone. Not to worry Reagan, there are no worries that your nose cone hide-a-way will be arriving to a grandparent's house near you any time soon.
There are a lot of toys in each of the hangars. Something for everyone.
After the museum tour, we drove to Bow-Edison for lunch. It was a beautiful day for a beautiful drive.
Last week I asked Bob to make a couple of peanut butter feeders to put out on the Bird Buffet. I didn't know what a peanut butter feeder would attract so I thought it might be fun to put one out. So far I see only one bird used it, but it was one of the pileated woodpeckers that already eats at our suet feeder. Apparently even woodpeckers get peanut butter stuck to the roof of their mouths. After he ate the peanut butter he danced around on the fence then wiped his beak on one of the boards and stuck his tongue out in the universal peanut butter tongue move. His tongue is made for digging insects out of wood and is about 6" long.
After he got his beak cleaned up and looked for preditors, he went to Reagan's fountain for a no-so-quick drink. I guess in a woodpecker's world you just don't get your tongue sticky very often.
We also have a regular visitor to the peanut basket. The hook isn't very strong and I hope I'm home to watch the show when the squirrel and feeder test out Newton's Law of Gravity.
Oh, for my dad...here is the October JagMag. If you want to read the others that I've done since I gave you a stack, go to www.seattlejagclub.org to check out the back issues. For those of you that don't know, I volunteered to do the club "newsletter". I had never even looked at it previously and didn't realize that it was not a "newsletter", but a magazine! It's been a lot of work, but I'm finally starting to get it all figured out. The moral of the story is not to volunteer until you've thoroughly checked what your duties will be.
Chris and Carissa are so good about doing activities with Reagan. As I might have mentioned, Fall is upon us so the Walkers headed out for the pumpkin farm today. It's good they are doing it early since there will be enough time to do it again before Halloween is upon us.
Another activity Reagan loves is reading, reading, reading. She can never get enough of reading.
Nothing beats a trip to the playground on a sunny day,
Except maybe for a trip to the beach to do a bit of digging.
Another activity Reagan loves is shopping. Of course at this age, all activities are fun and exciting.
Reagan lovers herself a trip to REI and here she looks like she knows exactly what she's heading for. The toddler stuff...or the surf boards...or the jackets...or...
Reagan sits with Bullseye the Target mascot and wonders why he isn't as interested in her as she is in him.
Fabric store. So. many. textures. to. touch.
After a busy weekend of shopping and playing, what better way to top it off than with ice cream?
































No comments:
Post a Comment