Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chapter 204

Congratulations to Chris' sister Jennie and her new husband James who were married on the 21st at  BB&T Baseball Park in Winston-Salem, NC.

And Happy Birthday on the 24th to one of my mothers, Bobbie, in Oklahoma City. I hope you enjoy your Special Day on Tuesday!

 We are watching the grand dawg while Chris and Carissa were in North Carolina for Jennie's wedding. Wednesday night when Bear went out, it was sooo nice outside and it was like daylight with the huge moon overhead and the temperature was almost warm.  Bear and I wandered around the yard for quite a while soaking up the night. As I left for work on Wednesday, the moon was on the other side of the sky, but still huge. Here you can see the sunrise behind me and the moon in front. 

 Even though I was only about three miles closer when I got to work, the moon looked waay larger than it did from my house. It almost looks like the sun in this dawn picture.

One of the good things to come from building the new high school is that the houses that blocked my view of Mt. Rainier as I turned toward the shop have been razed. Now I can clearly see the mountain. I could do without all the temporary light poles in the way but the seagull on top of the mountain is kinda cool. When the school is completed, this will be the tennis courts and the fence will probably block my view again. Bad for me but good for you, lucky readers, since you will probably be tired of this view by then.

Since we were supposed to get rain on Thursday, I took Bear to the bark park so he could get good and tired before we were all cooped up together for who knows how long.  When we arrived at the park, the pool had been freshly filled and Bear joined a couple of his best buddies in the water. 

So much for the health of backseat on the way home.

Even though the rain was foretasted for Saturday, morning dawned beautiful so I ran the guys outside bright and early for some exercise. Both of them enjoyed the fresh smells of our local raccoon that tours our yard during the night.

The difference between walking a dog.... 

...and walking a cat. Dogs like to cover lots of ground and see what there is to see. Cats like to savor their outing by lounging and catching the smells that come to them. There is not really much to see nor exercise value in a cat walk for me.

Bob has been replacing the head gasket on the PT Cruiser. Hoping the head was savable after a horrific overheating, I took a dirty black head into the machine shop and got this cute shiny thing back. I almost want to put it on a chain and wear it as jewelry it's so shiny. 

This is where that shiny piece goes. This engine compartment used to be full of engine, now it's just pitifully empty. 

As I was leaving the drive-through dry cleaner on Friday, I was surprised to see how close to Main Street the building appeared to be. I know all the transportation activity will be on the end of the building where the blue-covered piles of lumber are so it can be closer to the curb, but it still caught me by surprise.

It's good to finally see Bob is able to be up and around again. He met with the surgeon Friday and saw lots of pictures of his 3 herniated disks. The surgeon said if the 4 back shots have made him comfortable, cross his fingers and hope he won't have any trouble for a while.  So far Bob's been able to work on the cars while leaning and sitting to avoid standing. Now that he's finally improving, maybe he can get back to other activities he wants to do.

Tuesday when Bob dropped Chris and Carissa off at the airport, he hit himself in the eye with the Escape door while trying to scurry into the car without getting hit by speeding drivers hunting for the perfect drop-off spot. He knocked his glasses into his eye socket cutting it with the lens and giving the lens a good scratching as well. Bob runs around telling everyone that I did this to him.

Bob and Bear were playing "fetch" in the yard. Bear enjoyed watching Bob both throw and retrieve the ball since he wouldn't go get it after Bob threw it. Apparently Bob's not a fast learner since it happened over and over. Bear must have gotten a real laugh over that one.

 Amazingly Bear respects our flimsy retractable screen door. Here he's laying in the sun guarding the fortress from intruders. Apparently it's easier to smell intruders with his nose pressed tight against the screen threatening to extrude little strips of doggie nose to the front porch.

Saturday we went to Bob's company party at Emerald Downs. Orion Industries provided tickets, drinks, lunch, door prizes, and amazingly, $20 seed money for betting to each employee. We were fortunate enough to win a gift card to Costco and the mum plant from centerpiece. Once again, despite cries of a rainy day, the weather was spectacular. Between the two of us betting on 8 races, we managed to parlay our original $20 grub stake into $20.20! We split the profits equally between us, but I never did see my half of the original grubstake money that Orion gave us.

Here we are on the rail watching the finish of one of the races we bet on.

And here, in the picture all by himself, is the horse I bet on. All the others were back in their stalls bathed and eating their post-race horsie snacks by the time my horse came across the finish line.


As promised, the rainy weather finally arrived. Bear went with me while I ran my errands to help tire him out. I was hoping to take Bear for a walk in a new park while we were out but the rain steadily increased throughout our errands. Bear cannot put a thumbtack on a new park today. Maybe next time.

“The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.” 

Finally the rain lightened up a bit and I took Nitro and Bear outside.  Since it was still raining, the guys wore their rain coats so I didn't have so much drying off to do when they come back into the house. Bear wants Nitro to play dead basketball with him but Nitro is not interested. As you recall from a previous blog, Bob ran over this ball with the lawn mower and tore the big hole in it but Bear still loves to play with it.

Nitro wanders over to see what interesting smell Bear found.  He just can't be left out.

Bear and Nitro pose in their raincoats. Well, I tried to get them to pose anyway. Have you ever tried to get a cat to do something it doesn't want to do? Nitro decided that particular smell in front of him was way more interesting than posing for my silly blog. 


 Have a good week everyone!

-

1 comment: