Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Chapter 202: Rod Run



 Look at this cool weed I saw at Portland International Raceway while we were there for the car show last week. I love the symmetry of this weed. Some of my earliest memories of Aunt Karen are crouching in front of weeds while pointing out things like symmetry, how the plant and seed pod structure help propagate the plant and how the plant gets it seeds to spread.

After our wonderful drive home on the back roads between Portland and home, we tucked the red Jag in the garage with it's buddies.  This crew spans 36 years and two countries.

When we got home Bob put his newest award on the "awards" shelf. This is his trophy take over the last two summers we've had the red Jag.  The tray on the bottom right is from today.

One night I fixed myself a snack of high-protein, high-fiber, low-carb, low-flavor crackers and cheese. I was talking to Bob and watching TV while standing at the bar and found that while I was engrossed in the TV show, or Bob, I had put my cheese on Bob's Jaguar floor mat sample that had been on the bar and was preparing to take a bite out of it. Not only do the crackers and the mat look similar, there's a good chance the floor mat would have tasted better than those crackers did. P.S. His new floor mats should be here on Wednesday.

While I was waiting for my copies to happen in the copy room, I took a picture of the size 13 Softspot shoes that Kyanne found at Goodwill for me. Unlike most of my shoes, they not only fit but offered the added bonus of being comfortable on top of that! Thanks Kyanne.

I got a bill from the City of Auburn for Nitro's license. According to the nasty-gram, I couldn't license him until his rabies vaccination was up-to-date and that there would be a compounding fine for late payment. So I packed up Nitro and headed to Dr. Beachy's office. Since Dr. Beachy is right across from Starbuck's, I zipped through to get my trenta caffine-free, iced passion tea with no syrup before his appointment. As the Starbuck's girl leaned out to hand me my tea, she sincerely exclaimed in her overly perky Starbuck's-trained voice that she was sorry, but they didn't have any cat bones for my cat. I'm quite sure she was very serious.

The next morning after all the lightening and rain, I arrived at work to find my parking space under two feet of water. After parking inside the shop, I called maintenance and told them it had most likely already reported but the parking lot was flooded. They said they had heard nothing about it. Now, you tell me how the day custodian opened the gate at the end of my building without noticing and reporting it? He even only opened the gate half way because the gate path was flooded. Really?

Friday night after all danger of traffic jams were over, we all headed out for the cabin. Here Nitro rocks his ride Jag-nam style.  (If anyone hasn't seen the totally ridiculous and cheexy Psy Gangnam style video, click here to check it out.)

Saturday I walked around town a few times. The annual Fill the Boot event that fire departments usually run each Labor Day is postponed in Long Beach until Rod Run weekend. The firemen don't have to dodge vehicles since traffic is at a standstill and they have plenty of time to chat up each and every potential donor as they slowly creep into town and harvest a tidy sum for their charity. The arrow shows the fire people at work. 

Saturday evening we put the top down and went to a couple of lookout sites to watch the sun go down. We used to go to North Head Lighthouse to do this but now that we are charged for using parks, we use the free highway lookouts instead.

 We returned to the cabin and watched redneck SPEED TV from the living room. By Bob strategically parking the Jag on the corner, we can see the parade of cars on the highway over the top of the it and not risk a giant SUV blocking our TV channel for the evening. 

On the way home from Long Beach the sun was out and that means the top has to go down. The first time Nitro rode in the convertible with the top down, he looked up then at me like "Where the hell is the roof?" I'll admit Nitro gets the short end of the stick 'cause when our top goes down his goes up. Here he is "Ridin' tight in his Samsonite."

A couple of weeks ago when I was at Aunt Karen's, I was telling her about Satsop Nuclear Plant a.k.a. WHOOPS!, a play on it's official acronym WPPSS (Washington Public Power Supply System).  Construction of the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant began in 1977 and was halted in 1983 after a $961 million budget shortfall, leaving the plant 76% complete. The plant was maintained, ready for construction to be resumed, until 1994, when it was finally canceled. Today, one of the towers has been repurposed into Satsop Business Park and also provides computer backup services.

If you click on the Satsop Business Park link above, it will show you all sorts of creative things they have done with half of the unfinished plant. They even managed to make a photo of a derelict nuclear power plant look beautiful. 

Shortly after we get off Highway 18, Nitro knows we are almost home and pops up from his crate like a Jack-in-the-Box, anxious to be free of his human's whims like taking a cat in a convertible. Oh, and you want to talk about people pointing and staring at your car? Just wait until you have a cat in a Samsonite riding shotgun on your lap in a convertible!

When we got home, we found that Carissa had made brownies before she left as well as weeded a part of the front yard that desperately needed it. Thanks Carissa and Chris!

The car is unloaded, the laundry is laundrying and Nitro is back in his sun spot which means he's pressed as close to the screen door as he can get without actually pushing on it...he knows that's not allowed. Life is back to normal for him.





No comments:

Post a Comment