Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chapter 215

Last Tuesday we went to a Seattle Thunderbirds game. It was "$2 Tuesday" with half price tickets, $2 popcorn, $2 beer (yuk!) and $2 hot dogs. Fortunately we had a great dinner at Azteca, using a Groupon, coupon right before we went to the game so we didn't need to avail ourselves of the $2 menu.

Our seats were two rows from the ice so we could see lots of action. Amazingly, I could see the puck this time. In the past when I go to hockey games, I just take people's word for it that there is a puck out there somewhere. Thanks to my new eyes, I was actually able to see it. Here Cool Bird poses just for me.

A scuffle brews on the ice. Fight! Fight!

Players crashed into the glass in front of us on a regular basis. 

I feared for the ancient ShoWare Arena photographer shuffling around on the ice, but he made it back to the safety of the rail without a problem.

We came home from work one day to find that the City of Auburn had flushed our pipes. Yes, they did give warning and post signs in the area, but the dates on the signs and the muddy water did not coincide in the least. Thankfully I wasn't home doing wash or something that the muddy water could ruin.

I went to Tacoma to meet a friend for our monthly dinner. I stopped by REI to look at something and the view of Mt. Rainier was spectacular so I stuck my phone through the chain link fence and snapped a picture. It doesn't even look real. What a beautiful view for the I-5 commuters to look at while they use the state-provided free parking.

We have an epidemic in our shop. It's infected about half of the boys and it's causing outrage among our custodians. The side effects of the epidemic are dried carrots and peas on the drain strainer of the big hand sinks in our shop. 

Since we have a microwave in the shop, the students bring Cup o' Noodle and keep them in their lockers for their lunches. The kids "cook" their soups then pour the broth...along with the abandoned peas and carrots...into the sinks.  The custodians refuse to clean them out any longer and want the kids to throw their broth and detested veggies into garbage cans. Yuk. I do harvest veggies from the drain occasionally, but since the custodians make $3. an hour more than I do, I feel like it's their jobs. Hoping to halt the infection, I've posted a ridiculous sign hoping the students will not burden either of us with their veggies.

One of my students does ballroom dancing with the Pacific Ballroom Dance and invited me to come to his Christmas show in the Performing Arts Center in Auburn this weekend. When I went to the site to see if I could get tickets at the PAC, I saw my student on the splash screen. He hadn't told me he had a very large part in the show. That greasy auto shop kids cleans up quite nicely.

Sunday was nice and sunny and it was a beautiful day to be out. I noticed that the new building that Bob's company's is building is nearing completion.  The arrow shows the part of the building that Bob will be occupying after the big move. The building is directly adjacent to the Auburn Municipal Airport and the Federal Aviation Administration has certain clearance requirements fanning out from the airport itself. This means that the side of the building nearest to the airport needs to be lower. To meet these Federal guidelines a slope was designed onto one side of the roof giving the building an interesting look.  

I have an appointment in the morning for my final eye check and I am going to spend the night with Carissa and Chris so I'll be closer. This means leaving Bob home alone for the afternoon and that is never a good thing. He's working on the garage bathroom remodel right now and the toilet needed to be pulled so he can put the floor in while I am gone. Since we have both faced the fact that we have back issues, he graciously allowed me to help him carry the toilet out to the garage before I left. It's taken 37 years for me to convince him to take care of his back, but he's finally gotten the message.

I'm heading out to Carissa's now leaving Bob alone with the bathroom project. I will be sooo glad to get rid of that flooring.

Have a good week everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment