Total Pageviews

Friday, August 7, 2009

Chapter 21: Out of the Frying Pan...

This week Bob's mom, Jodie, and I went to our cabin. Just to make JoAnn jealous, we made sure she got the standard tourist shot with the Long Beach frying pan.


We did the usual "Long Beach Loop". We walked from the cabin to the beach, the beach to downtown, then downtown back to the cabin. It's a 1.5 mile or so stroll. Walking back through town we looked in all the little shops, the bakery, stopped for dinner, and of course a trip to Scrappacino for handmade fudge and *more* scrapbook stuff.


After we recouperated for the afternoon, we went to North Head lighthouse. http://www.rudyalicelighthouse.net/NWLts/NrthHead/NrthHead.htm I wanted to take some sunset pictures of the lighthouse and it was a very clear evening. North Head lighthouse is shrouded in fog 300 days of the year. North Head is also the windiest place in the United States as you can see in the "lean" of the trees in my pictures. On January 29, 1921, winds were clocked at 126 mph before the instrument blew away. In 1932, the ferocious winds sent a wild duck crashing through the plate glass and taking out a chip of the lens.








Since we had been walking all afternoon I suggested Grama stay in the car and rest. As I take my first picture, you can see how well she minds.























Here are a few lighthouse pics. I took lots so there are more available upon request.





















The old lighthouse keeper's residences are well-kept and available to rent.











The on the other side of the sandy spit in the picture is the mouth of the Columbia river.


Isn't this just the coolest old place?


Here you can see the layers of material used to maintain the lighthouse over the past hundred or so years.

These two cute little couple (of unidentified ethnic background) were patrolling outside their nest. You can see the little hole they use to get inside the building and away from the weather.













Once Grama was out of the car, I figured she'd sit at the top of the stairs while I ran down to the lighthouse and snap a few pictures. Guess what? Now she's gotta get back to the top of this huge flight of stairs. She actually beat me to the top because I took too much time taking pictures as I went up.




We saw this pretty thistle plant and it reminded me of the (much prettier) Scottish thistle so I took a picture of it.














































3 comments:

  1. I am jealous--not of the frying pan but of the fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a great time at the beach shirt sleeve weather no wind. I can't thank Tanya for taking me on this r&r trip. The weather was perfect for walking and of course the food is always great. I think I surprised Tanya and myself at how much walking I could do but it was so great to walk on the beach, love the sand between my toes. Again thanks Tanya for taking good care of me. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good time. I did as well. We'll have to make a winter excursion as well. (Anyone we made jealous with this trip is welcome!)

    ReplyDelete