Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chapter 219: Merry Christmas!


This has been a busy week getting ready for Christmas. Following my usual Estimated Completion Date formula (Figure out how long it will take to make the project, count back from the time/date needed, and subtract 10%, procrastinate a bit longer, then work like mad to get it done.) I have several projects to get done before the Big Day arrives including decorating for Christmas and finishing gifts for our niece and nephew. For our nephew Carter, (Jenna and Kyle's son), I made a couple of guy-style bibs from shirts that Carter can wear to his more formal events with dignity and a Nike bib to wear when he is out with Dad at more sporty events. A boy doesn't want to go out on the town with the guys and wear an "I Love Mommy" bib. It's just not done.

For our niece Payton, Jenna's daughter, I made a princess dress and headband with a train on it. Wouldn't you know that Payton is not currently in Princess mode right now and wants to dress like a boy and be a basketball player. Sheesh! The positive side of this is that if she doesn't wear it she will spare the household from purple glitter poisoning.

One morning last week I got up extra-early (for whatever reason) and was greeted by this awesome sunrise with all it's beautiful colors over our back yard. You have to understand that a sunrise is not something I see on a regular basis so I'm easily impressed by this one.

Being Washington, our weather varies greatly. As the saying goes "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes, it'll change." So the next morning after the beautiful sunrise we awoke to snow. Since Nitro was curious what was going on outside, I hitched him up in his Kitty Holster and took him out for a walk. It took Nitro a moment to get used to the snow but within a few moments he had it all figured out and casually strolled along like snow was an everyday event .

 Once Nitro hit the snow, he figured the world was his cat box and took appropriate action. After  about 10 minutes though, his toes must have gotten cold because he made a run for the house to get his kitty snack and a nap. This is the human equivalent to hot cocoa and a book.


Saturday morning we packed up and headed to Albany, Oregon to visit the Casebolts and Halls. Since we had a nice long drive to get there, I got some Christmas planning done and my Christmas cards addressed and ready to go. When we got to Albany we went to Jenna and Kyle's to show Bob their house and to see Carter for the very first time, thanks to social media I feel like I already know him and am thankful that I've been able to watch him grow. Here is Kyle, Bob, Jenna with Carter, and me with Payton. It was great to see their place and their growing family.
After our visit to Kyle and Jenna's, we were given the Grand Tour of Albany and Tangent

where Scott is the Rural Tangent Fire Department Rural Tangent Fire Department Chief. Scott has always aspired to a higher fire department position but it did not work out for him in Tacoma. Scott loves his Fire Department with all its duties and sense of community. Scott and the Tangent fire department are a perfect fit for each other! Here's Scott next to the mural in his office.

And here's Chief Casebolt in his fancy uniform in the picture showcase in the lobby of the fire station.
While we were touring the station, we hopped into one of the 1941 (Sorry if I got the year wrong, Scott) Tangent fire trucks for a quick picture. You should be very scared if you ever see us pull up outside of your burning house.

After our trip to Tangent, JoAnn took us for a tour of Albany to show us her "stomping grounds". We got to tour the Blue Ox Campground where Scott and JoAnn lived for four months in their little trailer while their house was being built, the Linn County Fairgrounds, JoAnn's morning walking route, and the Blue Star Veteran's Memorial Park.
After a wonderful visit we headed up I-5 for home. Since I had about 8 hours of travel time to entertain myself in the car,  I took my Christmas cards, menu planning, To-Do lists, projects, and Christmas crafts to keep busy. This is prime pre-Christmas preparation time and I wanted to make good use of every minute of it. There were limitations placed on my activities such as "NO GLITTER" in the car since the sparkly princess costume I made Payton left purple glitter all over the house and Bob's Christmas spirit doesn't extend to trying to get all the glitter out of the car. As Chelsea says, "Glitter is the herpes of the craft world."  Despite this decree, I managed to get quite a bit done on my projects as well as listen to most of an audio book.
A big Thank You to Scott and JoAnn for letting us invite ourselves to stay in their beautiful home this weekend. Fun was had by all and the Casebolts run a great B and B. 
P.S. JoAnn, check out this link: NightLights.com

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!


2 comments:

  1. What a fun website for night lights. Of course I have a very green one now in my bathroom courtesy of Bi-Mart. Thanks for coming down--love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to see you guys! You are amazing, I love how creative your gifts are :) Can't wait to open them on Christmas morning! Love you guys so much! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete