This weekend we were off to the All British Field Meet at Portland International Raceway. We left home in the wee hours of the morning to be at the show by 8:30 or so. Everyone was busy cleaning their cars when we arrived. Even though we had driven to the show that morning, we were done cleaning our car long before everyone else did. Obviously we are in it for the fun, not the show points. Bob's is the red XJS with the black top...and red arrow.
One of the displays at the show was this "Bustaurant". This is a 1950's bus that saw 20 years of duty in London. After it made it's way here, it was remodeled into a bustaurant. The bustaurant has a full kitchen below and table seating upstairs. Tables are outside as well.
Bob showing his award at the show. See, we didn't need to clean for hours on end!
Saturday night we stayed in Portland so Bob could go to the All British car swap meet. I made the mistake of staying at the hotel to read while Bob went to check out all the junk. He returns with a remote control Hummer in the passenger seat of our two-seat convertible. I say "Put that Hummer in the trunk so we can head home." He says "Can't. There's one in there too." Is that a hint???
After we put the top down, the hummer got to ride on the rear deck. These are really large Hummers. The tires are 6" tall. Too bad there still aren't cannons on the Hummer. We could really have some fun on the freeway!
This is how the fire looked at 10:00 as we rolled north. The southbound traffic was at a lookie-loo standstill. I guess I-5 was closed for several hours during the night because embers were landing on cars while they stopped and stared.
Since the day was beautiful, and we were sporting a Hummer in our convertible, we decided to take the long way home through Morton, Eatonville, Puyallup, etc. We arrived in the bustling town of Morton...
...cruising the streets looking for food...
...which we hoped was fresher than their sign at "Spiffy's". It must have been the place (or maybe the only place) to eat in Morton since it was busy with post-church locals.
After Morton, we hit the rest stop in Elma. I had high hopes when I saw the clean, attractive rest stop building but these very same hopes plunged when I saw they were only pit toilets. I think this was definitely false advertising!
While waiting for Bob I wandered around a took some pictures. This was a cute old building.
This is the Hobo Inn and Diner in Elbe. We stayed there once, and it's a fun change from the usual four white walls of a traditional hotel room. Check out the link.
As Washingtonians say "The mountain is out today" and was it ever. There were so many good views of Mt. Rainier I didn't even know which one to publish here for your viewing pleasure. I did not even tamper with the colors of this photo, aren't they beautiful?
When we got home from Portland, Bob had to pose with his two Humvee's like he was a hunter posing with his catch. He's mighty proud of his Humvee catch.
We went to Fred's for his annual Labor Day picnic. Everyone brings stuff and a good time is had by all. This year my contribution was a shark fruit salad. Since it's the end of the season, there wasn't much choice of watermelon shapes so this little guy is kind of plump. Since I took a picture of him on the bar, and as usual it was a mess, the background has been PhotoShopped out for your protection. Everyone just loved Mr. Sharkie even if he was a bit plump and had little fishies stuck in his teeth!
When we travel to and from Long Beach, part of my entertainment is to keep an eye out for wildlife. If I can find three different kinds then I award myself a "Wildlife Trifecta". Apparently only Bob and Ryan know the nebulous rules for Wildlife Trifectas and must be called upon to approve each completed trifecta. For example, I've had bear/deer/elk and eagle/deer/coyote trifectas. The last trip to the cabin was a baby mouse/green frog/hawk trifecta, which Bob begrudgingly certified.
This weekend we went to Portland, and the only Wildlife Trifecta I could accomplish was a possum/coyote/raccoon Roadkill Trifecta. According to Bob, holder of the random Wildlife Trifecta Handbook of , Roadkill Trifectas do not qualify. I bet Ryan would award one for that.
Have a good week, Everyone!












No comments:
Post a Comment