Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Chapter 340

 To start with, I have to admit that I had Payton's birthday on my calendar as the 29th. Really? There's only a 29th every four years. I thought Payton's birthday greeting would fit nicely into this week's blog but I missed on that count too. So, Payton, I'm sorry I missed your birthday greeting, I didn't forget, just a bad calendar keeper. Your card will be along soon too.


And, Happy Birthday to Carissa. Guess what we got you???

As long as I'm passing out birthday wishes, Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss too!


I know I made these birthday collages a while ago but they never get old:

While we were in San Diego, we got Reagan a little Mexican leather purse and put some wooden nickels from the Old Town San Diego Cigar Shop. Gatsby finds that he has repeatedly been the lucky recipient of these wooden nickels. Gatsby, hasn't anyone ever told you to never take any wooden nickels?

This weekend Chris and Carissa took Reagan to Bellingham to visit Western Washington University. Note that Reagan is wearing her WWU Viking hat that Auntie Kyanne made for her. This was the building that Carissa spent several years of her life.


Carissa in the same place after her graduation in 2006.


From engineering graduation in 2006 to surgical technician and Mom 10 years later.

Back to San Diego! 
One of our outings was a trip to Cabrillo National Park on Point Loma. This is an overlook with a beautiful  view of the San Diego area and North Island Naval Air Station (Halsey Field). It is also a good location to get a concussion from helicopter skids and airplane landing gear as the military planes that take off from NIHAS fly around and over this point extremely low. I'm sure we left with skid marks on our foreheads after standing on this point and watching air traffic for a while.

Another purpose to this area are some great tide pools to wander around in just below these cliffs.

I did get a bit concerned about what these Californians considered tide pools when I saw this sign. I thought maybe they were man-made tide pools, ya know what I mean???

We finally hiked our way down to the tide pool area and I was relieved to see they were just traditional beach tidal pools.

They have pictures of what you might find in the tidal pools. I never expected to see the rarest thing EVER in this pool however: Bob walking outside with his shoes off. The only thing his delicate little feet touch before shoes go on is the bath mat right after his shower.

After that, we had to go to Ballast Point Brewery to get a glass for Chris since they were out of them when they visited a couple of weeks ago. Naturally, we had to taste to goods while we were there. When our beers came, I thought I was getting ripped off, but then I found out my beer was 12% alcohol and is served in smaller portions. It was a tasty little gem. After this, we bought Chris' glass which was stuffed with dirty socks and nestled into our luggage. I hope he washed his glass before he used it!

We stayed in the El Cajon area which is also a vintage part of San Diego, just a different era. This area became popular during the 1940's and the movie stars used to hang out here.

Our hotel, The Lafayette Hotel and Swim Club, was built in 1946 with the luxury that would attract movie stars. The classic charm has been kept and it was a fun hotel to stay in. 

The classic courtyard has a large pool designed by 6 time Olympic gold medal winner and Tarzan, Johnny Weismueller.

Even the ice was classy with an embossed Lafayette Hotel ribbon to seal the ZipLoc ice bag closed.


More stunning architecture in Balboa Park. Perhaps this might be the Art Museum?

And this? Um. This is some fancy military airplane on a stick with a modern airplane flying over it.

Creepy roots. This place has it's share of creepy roots. I hate creepy roots. Roots are like underwear, they belong underneath something else and I don't want to be seeing either of them.

The California Building, home to the San Diego Museum of Man, was constructed for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition. Just another exquisite example of the beautiful architecture of the area.

And speaking of architecture, Mother Nature designs some pretty cools stuff herself like this growing barrel cactus.

And the "blue" ice plant. Love the blue ice plant.

The botanical conservatory was also built for the 1915 exposition. It's built out of wood lathe and is really pretty when everything is blooming.

Oh, wait. Maybe this is the fancy art museum architecture. Whatever, it's still pretty cool to look at.


This sculpture of an mosaic alligator caught my eye. I was pretty sure Reagan would like it.

We finally said our good-byes to San Diego from this restaurant on a pier over the bay. In the background is the bridge to Coronado and the fancy hotel and beaches over there.

Annnd we're back to our wonderful Washington weather with its "wonderful" rain. In this case it's "wonderful" hail! We had quite a bit of it on the grass when it was done.

Now. On to the good stuff. Here Reagan stands, looking just like Grampy Walker, in her swimsuit getting ready to conquer the YMCA swimming pool.

Little sous-chef in training.


The little sous-chef and her family.

Mom and Dad upgraded Reagan's outdoor play toy. She went from the little slide set on the right to the large play set on the left. They got an awesome deal on the new set and had gotten such an awesome deal on the little slide, it paid for half of the new set. 

Of course Reagan loves it.

Heading out, see you next week!







1 comment:

  1. Great blog--I'll be sure that Payton see's it Wednesday when she is with me if she hasn't already!
    I'm wondering if designing a swimming pool is really that big of a deal.....it's a concrete rectangle hole filled with water.....lol

    ReplyDelete