Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Chapter 287


Once again, I find myself remiss in acknowledging an important event. I not only forgot Pi Day, but I forgot this is an Ultimate Pi Day, which occurs only once per century!
3.14159265359
If you reach way back into the dark corners of your brain from your old math days, you will remember that pi = 3.14... as shown above. Accordingly, Pi Day occurs once a year on March 14th (3.14). The difference between a plain vanilla Pi Day and an Ultimate Pi Day is that not only was it March 14 (3.14), but it was March 14, 2015 (3.1415). Add 9:36 a.m. & p.m. and you've got 3.1415936. The first 8 digits of a number that's over a million digits long.
 Even though the weather has gotten cooler lately, I still have paint my toenails. Once I paint my nails, I can't wear socks or slippers for the rest of the evening and my feet get cold. Sooo, I made myself a pair of "pedicure socks". The Champion logo doesn't match because I don't like it and used a permanent marker on some of my socks to black it out.  

Little did I know, pedicure socks are actually a thing. On a whim I went to Amazon to see if there was such a thing and there is! The only difference is that mine say Champion, these say Pedi-Sox, and $19.74. Of course, mine are not something I'd wear with my flip-flops to have my pedicure done.

 The teacher I work for, Fred, is retiring this year and in preparation for his retirement party, I've been scanning pictures from old yearbooks for a slide show. Of course when I got to the 2000 yearbook I had to look for pictures of the girls and was rewarded with these gems. Even more than I love this picture of Kyanne and Tara as co-editors of the school newspaper, I love that the two of them are still really close friends and probably will be for life.

This is a picture I found of Carissa circa 2002 of her and her buddies celebrating someone's birthday. As usual for that era, if you saw Carissa or Eileen, the other one was never too far away.  

While we were in Las Vegas Bob had to go to his favorite place EVER, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. We looked for a little Margaritaville bumper sticker for Reagan's Jaguar but they didn't have anything that small. When we got home a quick skirmish with copyright infringement netted me two micro-sized Margaritaville bumper stickers. Nobody tell on me, ok?

Ryan's parents live in Arizona and are avid bird feeders. After we visited last year, we (read I) put a bird feeder in the backyard to keep Nitro entertained when he isn't taking one of his 12 hour naps. Well, word got out there is free food at the Book's and we've been feeding birds ever since. No matter how many feeders I add out there...

...it's perching room only. As you can see, there are two on top of the feeder waiting too.

Last summer when it was so hot outside, I started putting a bowl of water in the plant ring so the birds could quench their parched little throats. I didn't have the heart to cut them off this winter so they've had a super-deluxe bird life. 

We get a nice variety of birds here, and since Chris' dad is an avid bird-watcher, he peaked my interest in identifying birds.  I surprised myself with how much I enjoy watching them. I find myself standing at the window with my "Field Guide to Birds of the Northwest" book squinting at birds trying to see if they have a colored crown or wing crest. 

This guy, a northern flicker, reminds me of a child that has outgrown his tricycle and is still trying to ride it even though he no longer fits.

Speaking of birds, our volunteer (hoping to be our new teacher next fall) at school has been bringing me fresh eggs. I've decided these are the best Easter eggs of all since I don't have to decorate them. They come pre-decorated right out of the nest.  

 Now, if you don't want to see our vacation pictures of Jerome, Arizona, skip right on by and see what Reagan's been up to.

Jerome is a little bitty copper mining town way up in the hills. It was a cute little town, but you can tell life must have been really hard here back when it was a mining town. The town is known for being haunted, especially the Connor Hotel up on the hill in the center of the picture.

But now it is a tourist town and an artist's retreat. Once again, Bob is at the squished penny machine. He spent more time (and money) on penny machines than slot machines in Vegas.

Jerome's altitude is approximately one mile high and since the town is on a really steep hill, this restaurant is at the exact one mile point of the hill.

 Overlooking one of copper the mines from downtown Jerome.

Downtown Jerome. I pretty sure there is some significance to this bell other than being on Bell Street. Maybe it was the fire bell, or the lunch bell or the door bell to the hotel right there. 

The town of Jerome in it's entirety. Like most towns in the desert, the first letter of the town is on a hill above town.

The view from High Street looking down on Bell Street (you can see the bell mentioned above on the street corner). I guess if you were clinging to a mountainside eeking out a poor living by digging metal out of the ground, you didn't have much left for naming streets.



Reagan sitting in her chair with her first Jaguar, "E". 

Reagan is finding the spots on her curtains much more interesting that cooperating for her Mom. 

Now we're talking! Here's the place at Safeco Field where all the Mariners announce they are now on the payroll for big money. Where's mine? 

Where's that ball boy with my Gatorade?

Hiking with Dad. Why does Reagan have a hat on even though she has hair and Dad doesn't have a hat on and he doesn't have any hair?

Unlike Bear, Gatsby doesn't care if he gets tortured by little sticky hands. 

Everyone outside to enjoy the fresh air.

Concentrating on choosing just the right toy to play in the yard with. 

HAVE A GOOD WEEK, EVERYONE!



No comments:

Post a Comment