Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Chapter 193: Fourth of July Weekend

Chris and Carissa brought Bear with them to stay while they were here for Chelsea and Richard’s wedding. Since they had things going on during the week, and we were going to see them in a couple of days at the cabin, we just kept Bear with us.

Then the week started out to be a barn burner. I spent all last summer looking for my fan and wondering where I had put it. When we went back to school in the fall, I recognized it in the classroom. This year I remembered to bring it home and I’m glad I did because we (meaning the animals) really needed it at home.


Bear and Nitro took turns at the fan. Whose ever lost his turn at the fan took his place in the front door way respecting the thin layer of screening separating them from the cruel world of speeding cars and no treats. 

Then, by some unspoken language, they’d just up and switch. No swatting, hissing, barking, or territorial issues. It’s like someone just said “Switch” or a bell rang. 
 

 In the heat of the afternoon, I filled a bucket with water and let Bear snorkel for ice. He loves it. He’d dive into the water growling at the ice and blow bubbles while he snorkeled around for the ice. 

 After he’d fished a piece of ice out of the water he’d lick it until he got brain freeze—which really surprised me given the phrase “No brains, no headaches!”  Bear would pick the ice up and run around shaking his head. I finally made him give up his ice so he could thaw his brain out and stop shaking his head.

One afternoon I stopped at Proper British Bacon, Cheese, and Meats to get bacon for breakfast at the cabin. I was driving the Jaguar XJS (British made) so naturally I parked in the space with the “For British Only” sign.  The butcher told me that was what that parking space was for, but Fords and Toyota’s keep parking there and he can’t keep ‘em out. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that Fords and Toyota's bring people that spend money at his store. 

Since it was so hot, I put Nitro and Bear in our bedroom with a window air conditioner. When I got home to check on them I found Bear in an A/C coma and unwilling eve to get up when I came into the room.

As the afternoon cooled, I took the guys out in the backyard to stretch a bit. It was still too hot for Bear to run around, but it was a change from them staring  at the fan or the air conditioner for hours on end.

 When Bob got home from work on Wednesday, we loaded up the troops and headed for the cabin. Nitro riding shotgun on my lap in his usual position, Bear in the backseat; head out the window, ears a-flappin’. When Bear was looking out the window behind me, Nitro would look at him through the front side window and wonder why the heck the dog was outside his window and not inside riding in comfort. Maybe he was thinking to himself how ridiculous Bear looked with the wind blowing the dog drool from his jowls, eyes squinting in the wind, and ears flapping. Certainly not the dignified behavior of a cat!


First thing in the morning I took Bear to the B.E.A.C.H. Not a word to be tossed about lightly unless you plan on going right that minute. As soon as Bear got to the beach he started to dig, Dig, DIG!   

Chris and Carissa rolled into camp later that afternoon. First on the agenda: Campfire for Chris. While we were all roasting marshmallows and making s'mores, Carissa decided to make a doggie s'more using organic dog cookies instead of graham crackers. As you can see, Bear loved it. For a dog that won't eat anything but expensive premium dog food, he sure loves roasted marshmallows. 

On the Fourth, we all trouped down to the beach to watch the fireworks show. This is a picture down Long Beach of hundreds of people literally burning money.

The next morning was beach clean-up. The City of Long Beach gives out bags and gloves so we can go pick garbage and fireworks offal from the beach. Along with clean up supplies we got coupons for food and coffee from local Long Beach vendors. Not a bad deal. A win-win for everyone involved.

Chris and Carissa brought their kayak to Long Beach so we could try it in some local waters. There are so many lakes and quiet bays it was hard to choose just one to go to. While two of us were in the kayak, Bear suited up in his PFD (personal flotation device) and went swimming. Frankly, its a bit embarrassing to take a huge, scary-looking German Shepherd to swim wearing a pansy PFD, but his strong suit is not swimming and it's better safe than sorry with no worries for anyone. Here's Chris and Bear all geared up for water.

It actually worked well for him to swim in Black Lake on the long line since there really isn't any shoreline for him to launch from and he could just jump off the end of the dock.

I got to ride shotgun in the kayak. Actually, it's not really riding since I had to help pedal if we were going to get anywhere. This Hobie kayak is much more relaxing to me than paddling all the time. You can just sit back, pedal, and watch for wildlife.

The next day we went to Astoria and had lunch at the Rogue Ales Public House. It is located on the end of a long pier that used to be a salmon canning factory. 

 Bumble Bee's canning facilities on this pier used to can salmon and as that tapered out in the 1920's, tuna. The old cannery has been made into the Bumble Bee Cannery Museum. Below you can see the ice houses that the fish was processed in. The size of the timbers and the craftmenship used to build this cannery are amazing to look at. As Kyanne said, it's the uber-creepiest place around. It is. I swear it's haunted. Hundreds of immigrant women processed the fish in harsh conditions over the years, so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Sunday morning we left the cabin pretty early to avoid traffic. Nitro likes to climb under the covers of our bed when he recognizes the bustle of pre-departure cleaning happening. I think his itty bitty kitty brain thinks he's well hidden. No so Kitty-o.

On our way back through South Bend, we stopped for a small Sunday market. Very small. Maybe there were 6 vendors all totaled  Since we've never really stopped in South Bend, we walked around the waterfront area. There is a small commemorative park with a statue of Robert Bush, a medic who continued to aid wounded soldiers while under fire and saved many lives.

Statues honoring the female oyster workers and fishermen that helped make the industry of the area...

...a totem pole carved by a native artist as thanks to the local bounty...

...and the world's largest oyster shell. So, who decided that the World's Largest Oyster belongs in a commemorative park anyway?

Bob was happy to see when we got home that the new tires for the XJS had been delivered. Despite my note and writing "Deliveries" in chalk on the deck with an arrow pointing to the other door the tires were front-and-center on the porch and in full view or anyone driving by when we got home. My plan is all deliveries should happen on the other porch so they could be tucked behind the bushes and not so visible. Hmm. Maybe not.




As I said, it was really hot last week and so Bob was working in the garage to keep cool. Obviously the sight of Bob without a shirt was too much for Resto-cat to handle.

Bob got the chrome bumpers, trim, and badging on the back of the Jag. 

Overall, the Jag looked really nice once. Now, he's shredded it again to install the interior. Here he's painting the vinyl and leather to freshen the interior and help it blend with the new seats. 

Bob had to mask the interior really well, not to protect the interior from paint, but to protect the new exterior paint.  

I really thought the days of killing trees to mask the car was over, but I guess not.

We are hoping for major improvements next week and getting this project wrapped up in the next couple of weeks!













No comments:

Post a Comment