Monday was a nice change of pace since it was a waiver day and there were no students underfoot. Fred and I started rearranging the tool room and after some huffing and puffing we organized years of build-up in the tool room and installed a new cabinet I had hauled in from the surplus pile out by the dumpsters. A new piece of furniture is a real find and we were excited to "install" it.
Here is the newly organized portion of the tool room.
And here is the stuff that we moved into the shop from that corner of the tool room. Now, just where is this supposed to go???
After the initial moving, Fred left for a meeting. As I moved the computer monitor back into place, I realized it needed to be unplugged from the far back corner under the counter. I squeezed between the cabinet and shelves (noted by a red arrow above) and slithered over the mutant minutia that had built up under the counter to get to the outlet. As I wiggled my way out, my earring got caught on something under the counter and I was securely stuck. Since my arms had gone in first, I did not have the clearance to reach back and unhook myself.
Then it dawned on me that I was in the back room of an 8,000 square foot building all alone, stuck under a parts counter. No amount of calling for help would yield results. So, as I hung under the counter pondering my options, I settled on the hope that my earring back was loose and would give way if I pulled hard enough. It did not. Fortunately the container I was hung up on finally pulled over and I was free. That would have made for a long day hanging out of the shelf.
We have had some mighty winter-like weather lately. The news calls it a "blustery spring", I call it just plain cold. We have had strong winds all week and I am very happy that we had the trees all cut down last month so as to not to wake up snuggled with a tree tucked snugly in bed with me and Nitro. Tonight we had hail.
Really? Hail? Geeze. The dry riverbed in our front yard really shows up in the hail.
Friday afternoon we packed up Nitro and some tools went to
the cabin. We have not been there in over 6 weeks although our friends Al &
Bobbi had come down for a few days. Sadly, for this trip, my friend Darla was
supposed to go with us but she had picked up a pesky flu bug and was not
socially acceptable, let alone potentially contagious.
Within 45 minutes of arrival, Bob was busy shredding
stuff…and that included working on the pellet stove before he began shredding. Since this used to be an exterior wall to the front porch, putting in a space-saving pocket door was just not an option so we installed a recycled door on a track. I called it "barn door style" when I had the original thought.
After the doorway was removed, we moved the furniture out of
the front “bedroom” and Bob started building a wall. Originally this was the
covered porch for the cabin and, although it had been finished it was still an
awkward space to configure. We have been using it as two guest rooms with a
curtain in between. Since we are planning on selling the cabin soon, we figured
to put a wall down the center of this awkward space and create a bedroom and an
office or temporary sleeping area. We had a long-range plan of doing this when
we sided the cabin as we removed the center window to allow for a wall to be
added at a later time. We are hoping a two-bedroom is a better seller than a
one-bedroom.
Here is the awkward space we were trying to tame. It runs the entire width of the cabin.
I kind of like the airy half-wall look. It kind of looks like a horses' stall, but don’t think
visitors or the new owners would really like it.
The wall is up and ready for paint. The clock is ticking and I hope we have time to
get it done!
Although the paint is still wet, we got the wall done except
for the white trim that goes in the corners.
And the whole operation was repeated all over again from the other side.
The airy horse stall stage...
…and the finished office, nook, or reading space wall. No more curtain between the rooms.
Oh, I almost forgot to show you the results of Bob's doorway shredding...a nicely finished door jamb to go with the sliding door.From this...
...to this.
After a hard day of building a little teeny wall, we were
off to the Lost Roo for dinner. There have been rumors of the Lost Roo brewing
their own beer in Ilwako and I see by the sign it’s almost here. We only missed the
opening brew by a week. I guess we’ll have to wait until the next visit to check it
out. I always like their signs because of our own Roo.
If we should be walking along the beach and happen onto a
piece of Japanese tsunami debris that no one else has noticed, perhaps a
bathtub or a McDonald’s sign written in Japanese, we now have a fridge magnet directing us who to contact if we find debris and FAQ's about tsunami debris. The FAQ's are loaded with excellent advise such as " Do not attempt to move or remove the derelict boat." and "If you don't know what it is, don't touch it." A good rule of thumb for life in general if I may say so myself.
The Jag is stripped and shiny. One of the tasks Bob wanted to tackle was the towing plate on the back of the Jag. Yes, I did say towing plate. Bob wanted to pretty it up yet maintain the ability to tow if we ever wanted to.
So he cleaned up the metal and built a cosmetic cover to pretty up the area and wrap underneath to cover the exposed rear end stuff that none of us had noticed but had been annoying Bob.
Naked kitty. I wonder if he's thinking his daddy was a DeLorean?
Bob patiently working on the new plate he is installing back there.
Another shot of the stripped clean Jag.























No comments:
Post a Comment