Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chapter 100!

Hello All! It's hard to believe that I have sat here and wrote about our activities 100 times already. Thanks to everyone who participates in making me feel like this is a worthwhile enterprise to undertake and thanks for acting interested.

Ok, here we go...Last weekend we hit the cabin with the chainsaw running. We trimmed up this tree that was a bit "stumpy" and now we don't have to duck when we walk out to the street.


Doesn't it look so much better?

 Bob turned it into firewood for some nice fires. We all know how much Chris loves a good fire!

We weren't the only ones with busy chainsaws. The people that own the rest of the lots on our block first burned the two old beach cottages in front of us, then last week cleared ALL the trees off the lot. That grassy area over Bob used to be a HUGE old tree that took up the whole corner of the block. Sad.

After the work was done, a nap was in order for "the boys".

Now instead of looking at trees, we see the bank and flag across the highway.

BORN TO BE WI*I*LLLDDDD! Bob and I went riding scooters on the beach. This is a tricky thing to do... for a non-rider...in slippery sand...with narrow tires...like myself, then add pushing up my sunglasses and getting the camera out...

I have quite a few pictures like this as a result!

 Bob decided we needed some new firepit furniture in the yard. Since he is not a woodworker at heart, his tools included and handsaw and chainsaw. We made it all out of driftwood from the beach. The bench seat was quite a find and a lot of work for Bob and Chris to haul from the beach to the car. Well worth the effort, guys!

Luckily, Bob's workworking skills are perfect for firepit furniture!

While Bob was playing furniture-maker, I was playing decorator. I refinished the frame around Grama's seagull picture and the picture Darla got us at a garage sale last time she was here. Grama's picture looks sooo much better without the 80's gold frame that it was. I also hung a stray piece of driftwood from our trip to Willipa Bay.

This is the Port of Peninsula in Nahcotta on Willapa Bay side of the peninsula. It's a whole different experience than the ocean beach side less than a mile across the peninsula. This port is mainly for the thriving oyster businesses located on the bay.

Bob watching for the crossing oysters....

Once while at the 42nd Street Cafe', we were served sea beans from the Willipa Bay. I was instantly in love. They are salty, kind of sweet and can be eaten raw or cooked. These are sea beans in their natural environment, minus the handful I was munching on. I think they look better on my plate.

Bob on the beach almost at the tip of the peninsula. The hill in the background is the Tokeland/Grayland area.

While I was doing dishes, I noticed a funny animal. I did not recognize it at all. It's wierd to be an adult that watches a lot of Animal Planet and not be able to identify an animal in my own backyard. A bit of research turned up that this is a short-tailed weasel or stoat. Cute little guy. I guess he might have lost his habitat when all the trees on the block were cut down by our money-grubbing neighbors.

All-in-all it was a good weekend. We all came home rested and ready to tackle life.
 

Have a good Fourth, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment